Sunday 17 April 2016

Part of my ANCESTRAL TREE

We all look at each other and I am sure that when doing so we try to imagine what our fore - fathers and mothers must have looked like.
Can we detect our own likeness in their faces?
Are there traits that we have inherited?
Here is one strand of my own ancestry that I recently discovered.

My Great Grandparents Jabez Finche and Elizabeth nee DORAN
who produced seven sons, each at approximately three yearly intervals.


Great Grandfather Jabez Finche (born 1853) with four of his seven sons.
So L to R Arthur b1878, William my Grandfather b1881, Ernest b1883
and John Henry the eldest son b1875.
As to where the other three sons were we shall need a crystal ball, 
however, their names were Frederick b1886, Robert b1889 and Samuel b1892


My Grandparents Emily (nee Byford) and William Finch
and the photo was taken in 1928.

As far as I know all of the photographs were taken in the English Midlands.

If anyone recognises their relations in the above photo's or has any information please leave a comment marked PERSONAL if you do not want your name or the information to be published. Thank you.

12 comments:

  1. Always interesting to see photos of ancestors. I got reacquainted with a 2nd cousin on Ancestry.com and she gave me pictures of my great-grandmother and her children that I had never seen. I only knew my great grandmother as a very old lady, so it was interesting to see her as a young woman and my grandmother as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is fascinating to see the likenesses !

      Delete
  2. Absolutely wonderful photos. So, now you'll have to grow out your mustache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On growing out the moustache. H'm I shall need the written permission of her Ladyship for that to happen and have just heard from the couch that it will be refused :(

      Delete
  3. Just 'splendid', Mel :) Mind you, my impression is that everyone looked much the same back then, so they could be my relations too! It's all the whiskers and curly taches. And all the severe looking ladies. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her Ladyship agrees with you Val :)
    What we are see in the majority of the Victorian photos that they are a 'product of the age' that displayed a facade of discipline etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mel - how interesting to see the name change .. I haven't many photos of my grandparents or before ... being of the middle variety and no children of my own or my brothers ... but I'm always fascinated ...

    I know one of my brother's sounded exactly like his father - I couldn't believe it and at that stage I was 21 - some years ago ... as too my mother brother ... and people say I look like my mother ... so the genes be there ...

    Fascinating to see ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spelling of names do change according to what is considered to be correct
      at the time - I think, importantly the phonetic stays the same.
      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  6. I think photos, especially of one relatives, become more precious as time goes by! You are fortunate to have these fascinating pictures from long ago.
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Bazza and it is good to be able to share, thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful! Fashions change even in photography, all the above are 'posed', but today the fashion is for more 'natural' pictures probably because these days photographs are quicker and cheaper to take. I love the old photos. Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Be polite at all times or run the risk of being blocked.