Sunday 23 September 2018

ANCESTRAL BREATH

On Saturday we took a road that is now very familiar.
We were visiting a friend's art exhibition, titled 'Ancestral Breath', at the Loughcrew Megalithic Centre. This is Lar's second exhibition at the centre and it opened earlier this week, in time for Autumn Equinox.



Lar Dooley a with Mrs H



Lar is a Primitive Artist who has developed his own unique style of painting
which is very textured and almost tempts the onlooker to touch the surfaces.



He is inspired by Ireland's ancient monuments and carvings.







I am very attracted by his depiction of the Poulnabrone Dolmen, Co Clare



The artist himself - Lar Dooley September 2018


12 comments:

  1. Hi Mel - I love Lar's work ... isn't it interesting and yes - I wanted to reach out and touch his stones. It is very primitive and reminds me of work I see out here on the Pacific coast in British Columbia ... I'm glad you went - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary; We first saw Lar's work last year and liked his technique.
      So knowing that there would be a slight difference and wanting to show our support we viewed and shared some of what we saw.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Mitchell I will pass on your appreciation to Lar.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy the artist's work. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and it was a pleasure to do so.

      Delete
  4. Mystical... is it the fact you talented folk all seem to live in Ireland, I idly wonder?

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may very well think that however, am certain that there are many other people in the world who are equally talented.

      Delete
  5. I was astonished by how much I wanted to touch the first picture (second photograph) even when on my screen. It is palpably deeply textured even though it's presumably only minimally textured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment in regards to Lar's texturing depth made me arise and measure one of his illustrations with a pipe cleaner and on average the indentations are 1mm to 1.5mm. So yes, I can well understand how you perceived their tactile attraction Graham.

      Delete
  6. I love that one of the entrance to the barrow with the wolf and woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am sure that Lar will enjoy your comment even more than I do - many thanks Debra!

      Delete

Be polite at all times or run the risk of being blocked.