Wednesday 29 June 2016

A MEDAL for ALL THE BOY'S IN GREEN



The Republic of Ireland football fans are to receive an award from the mayor of Paris for their "exemplary sportsmanship" during Euro 2016.
Anne Hidalgo said they will be given the Medal of the City of Paris.

She told the French sports newspaper L'Équipe they had distinguished themselves by the "atmosphere" they created at the tournament in France.

The medal - known as the Grand Vermeil - is regarded as Paris's most prestigious honour and has been awarded to a wide variety of cultural and political figures.
Ms Hidalgo has written to Irish President Michael D Higgins to tell him of the award, but it is not yet known when the ceremony to present the medal will take place.

I believe that the awarding of a medal to football fans for quality behaviour and good humour is unique and I am delighted for them. I can only imagine what kind of a party they are going to have after the presentation for the craic will be mighty!







Post Script

Northern Ireland’s fans also made a big impression on the French at Euro 2016 — and now Paris is going to say “merci”.

The city’s mayor Anne Hidalgo said she would be giving supporters from both sides of the border an honorary medal for their fantastic behaviour.

Further adding that “The supporters from Ireland and Northern Ireland distinguished themselves by their exemplary attitude, fair play and good mood”

16 comments:

  1. What a prestigious honour! More than can be said for our fans I am afraid. Well done that team and all its supporters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Weave, indeed even for those of us who stayed at home we are tremendously proud of our fans behaviour in the host country. For each and everyone of them displayed themselves as a diplomat for Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have so admired the Irish fans and players. They deserve the medal; but it sure is a sick culture (professional sports) that has to award fans for NOT behaving like hooligans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your perspective Mitch which I agree with in part. My own take is that for Paris after suffering the horrors of the Bataclan massacre, that having the thousands of jovial Irish lads on the streets must have been like receiving a kind of healing.

      Delete
  4. Does every fan get a medal???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nols that's a very good question and one that I was asking myself last night ;-)

      Delete
  5. I wish that the clubs of some other countries were followed by such supporters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your observations and comment Graham.
      Am sure it would take very little effort for them to adopt Irish mannerisms :-)

      Delete
  6. I truelly enjoy this sight, we've had such foul games in Sweden were certain clubs have been bannished because of the behaviour among supporters. Your lads have done greatly, even if they fell now. Still, Sweden stumbled out long before, Zlatan and all. I can feel proud together with you to hear the praise. So nice that they spread such good feelings and have such good manners. No more images of scrumpylooking leprechauns in my mind, I will carry with me those happy faces above instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FT thank you very much indeed for your appreciation on the conduct of all of the boys in green.
      You see they enjoy themselves by singing a lot, have a few beers, see the football matches and to make friends with the other fans and share their songs.

      Delete
    2. Good for the boys in green. Yes, the Swedish-Irish love-fest of Euro 2016 was truly remarkable. Rarely have I been group-hugged so often by beer-breathed men simply because I wore yellow for the week.
      @Fairtrader: Supporters are not hooligans. There are also no clubs in Sweden that have been banished for ghe behaviour of so called fans. That is completely untrue and I do not understand why you need to tell lies.

      Delete
    3. Hello OVG !
      Thank you for the first part of your comment am so glad that you enjoyed the Irish hugs :-))))) despite the beery breath me thinks.

      FT must answer for herself and I would prefer it if it is done directly to you
      for I do not like arguments.

      Delete
    4. Dear Heron, I agree and I regretted making the comment too. Thank you!

      Delete
    5. My thanks to you OVG ;-) xx

      Delete
  7. Great happy images!
    Number 2 is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is very lucky to receive such attention :-)

      Delete

Be polite at all times or run the risk of being blocked.