Thursday, 5 September 2013

A SIGN OF THE TIMES



1. I had a letter last week from my phone provider informing me that the name of the internet product was changing to something else but I would still receive the same service.
It was addressed to NELVIN L…. which is not my first name and nor is it any of my names, it is though a poor corruption of my first name which is MELVYN. For about six years or more I have been informing various employees of the phone company about the correct spelling,all to no avail; as they are now changing the name of a product, there is a hope that they will change mine. I have now written to the Sales Manager pointing out the correct spelling - we shall see !


2. This morning I had a letter from LLOYDS BANK (our connection ceased 22 years ago) informing me that they are dropping the TSB - which will trade as a separate bank. So hence forward they are reverting to their former status, LLOYDS BANK. 
I can only wonder at the worthiness of these manoeuvrings and what all of this actually costs the customers and investors. 


3. I have been taking a look at this blog's statistics. What I have learnt and should have known, is that blog post titles are important if you want to attract visitors. An innocuous blog I did about my new sign for the cottage has had 6,500 hits, among whom were those dreadful anonymous spammers; who nearly caused me delete that particular posting namely 'A New Sign'. The vast majority of viewers to A.N.S. were and still are from the USA, which begs me to wonder exactly why?
As this post is titled 'A sign of the times' it will be interesting to see how many hits it generates :) 

4. I have posted up a new poem on my blog which you might like to read http://wordsofaramblingmind.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. Is Melvyn a family name? It is not usual in this country. My younger brother's name was Melvin, carrying on an old family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering the signatures my credit cards accept when I sign for something I'm not surprised when they misspell my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit mystified are you saying that you do not use the same style of handwriting when writing your signature ?

      Delete
  3. This is very amusing,, but I know it really isn't.. it must have bugged you for years and I can totally understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen, I am glad that you recognised the fun I had in every aspect. Thank you for your comments.

      Delete
  4. Hi there. Its me!!!
    I too am fascinated by the big part that a blog's title plays in attracting new readers.
    http://www.nols-agirlforallseasons.com/2011/05/women-who-drop-their-knickers-for-joe.html

    Happy Equinox Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment Nols and I truly appreciate your visit

      Delete

Your comments are a welcome addition to the activity of this blog however,the use of swear words is not permitted.